2019 BIG HEART 5K – Geneva, IL
BIG HEART 5K – Geneva, IL USA
9AM CST, LeRoy Oaks Forest Preserve
The 3rd annual BIG HEART 5K is a unique transatlantic race. We will run one race in two locations/ continents with synchronized start and timing. This will be your opportunity to compete with someone from the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. We are also offering a kids race for youth under 12 years old and a virtual options for participants that can’t attend in person. Last year’s winners won a trip to Norway thanks to two of our sponsors: Advokatfirmaet FINN and Eiendomsmegler 1.
The purpose of this event is to raise money for the Kristoffer Larsen BIG HEART Memorial Foundation, dedicated to preventing sudden cardiac death in youth while honoring the memory of Kristoffer Larsen that passed May 27th 2016 at age 22 to a undetected and hidden heart condition. Kristoffer was born in Harstad, lived in Geneva from 2005 until he passed, and he passed when he was visiting family in Harstad, Norway.
BIG HEART 5K
Virtual Transatlantic Run & Walk
Schedule of Events (subject to change)
LeRoy Oaks Forest Preserve
7:00 AM – Onsite registration opens
9:00 AM – BIG HEART 5K Run & Walk Start
10:00 AM – BIG HEART Kids Race Start
10:30 AM – Awards Ceremony and Drawing of Transatlantic Lottery
Map of course: LeRoy Oaks Forest Preserve
This chipped timed, certified course will be using the 3-mile-high school cross country course at Leroy Oaks Forest Preserve in St. Charles, Illinois. The course will take you through various terrain, making it a fun and challenging course for runners and walkers of all ages.
Watch this video from the 2018 BIG HEART 5K Run & Walk course:
Registration & Awards:
BIG HEART 5K Run & Walk: $35 + fees
- Runners and walkers that have signed up prior to August 1st 2019, are guaranteed a race t-shirt and the legendary “Kristoffer Socks”.
- Custom awards for top overall male and top overall female 5K runners
- Awards to 1st/2nd/3rd Place in each age group: 1-9/10-14/15-19/20-29/30-39/40-49/50-59/60-69/70+
- 5K Runners are entered in a transatlantic lottery where the winner can win an airline ticket to Norway!
BIG HEART 5K Family Walk: $90 + fees
- 3-6 walkers
- Walkers that have signed up prior to August 1st 2019, are guaranteed race t-shirt and the legendary “Kristoffer Socks”.
BIG HEART Kids Run: $15 + fees
- For ages 12 and under.
- Runners and walkers that have signed up prior to August 1st 2019 are guaranteed kids race T-shirt.
BIG HEART Virtual Run & Walk: $35 + fees
- Runners and walkers that have signed up prior to August 1st 2019, are guaranteed race T-shirt and the legendary “Kristoffer Socks”.
- The race package will be shipped to the participants.
What Are Kristoffer Socks?
Kristoffer wore socks with the Norwegian flag to his cross country meets for good luck. He suffered a sudden cardiac death on May 27, 2016 at age 22 while visiting his grandparents in Norway, his birth country. He was a healthy and active young man that cared greatly for his siblings, family, friends and people around him. Kristoffer was an active cross country and long-distance track runner at Geneva High School and at Wabaunsee Community College. Wear the socks to show your BIG HEART and in honor of Kristoffer!